Sunday, 4 September 2011

Produce of the wheel - part 1 (of many!!)

So yesterday was all about getting the wheel, now for some of shots of what it's enabled me to do.  The first thing I spun was this - approx 200g of black Welsh Mountain tops.  It was one of the lucky dip fibres that came with my wheel, and was a lovely fibre to work with and perfect to learn with.  Spun as a simple two ply, which worked out as a soft, bouncy chunky-ish yarn.
 The first bobbin on the go
And the finished yarn.  Still debating what to do with it.  It's not next to skin soft, but it's a lovely yarn all the same.  I liked it so much that I've since brought and spun more, trying to get it as similar as possible in terms of thickness (and failing!).

From then I moved on to some dyed fibres - first off a 3 ply of EWB, then a 2-ply SW cheviot.



The red stuff was really lovely, such a pretty colourway but I don't think my rookie spinning and plying did it the justice it deserved.

And finally for today, a lovely, slightly unusual fibre - Devon longwool.  I brought a braid of this and then got one a short while later as part of a fibre club in a similar colourway, they screamed out to be plied together and looked stunning when completed.  Again, not to sure what to do with this.



Ever since I've had my wheel, it's been a lovely adventure of learning, leaving my flat cluttered with spinning paraphenalia, or if I'm being tidy, a neat little corner a little like this:
(Jacob top on the bobbins, and yes, I ended up getting more, because a spinner really can't have enough bobbins!)


No comments:

Post a Comment