So after my deliberations of last night, I have decided against using the multicoloured handspun, and against a cardigan/jacket - I've just made a Tomten for this little guy, it'd be too similar in concept. I have instead decided to improvise a very simple raglan, knitted in the round with some fair isle attempts, using some of my other handspun as the contrast - a lovely marled effect yarn made from a humbug top. It's a little closer in weight to the Welsh Black Mountain, and provides a lovely rustic grey next to the black, and is very effective. And it's all completely natural, straight off the sheep colour, which I love the idea of! I guess the yarns to be around an aran-chunky kind of weight, so I've decided to go for size 5mm needles, to get a fairly dense fabric, which really balances out the lofty, bounciness of the yarn, and also, as the WBM was one of the first things I spun, it's a little uneven, and a tighter gauge helps with that too. It's knitting up really fast in comparison to the fingering weight 3.5mm needle stuff I have been doing, so that's just great! I may be finished it tomorrow... but more likely Friday. Here's a shot from a little earlier:
No comments:
Post a Comment