Wow, this really is a slippery slope. Just a few days without posting everyday and then it just gets longer and longer between posts. Oooops. There's no particular reason for having not posted for nearly four days, it's a combo of having really dull days followed by very busy days. And the now usual lack of sleep in Cheltenham making me exhausted. So here we go, a quick catch up over lunch, and I have loads to say, so let's see how far I get.
I slept absolutely awfully on Sunday night, but fortunately I didn't have anything going on on Monday besides my nine o'clock seminar. So I yawned my way home and curled up in bed and ended up sleeping for about three hours! It was soooo needed that I don't feel entirely guilty for avoiding going to the wards and clerking. I really don't think I would have got much benefit out of it.
Tuesday was by far my busiest day so far this week. Nine o'clock seminar. Followed by clerking with a friend. First clerking I've done in weeks so it was really good to have someone there with me, as (a) kind of obliges me to get on with it! and (b) good for feedback on things that need improving on or are just a little rusty from having not done it for a while. In the middle of my clerking, one of the other medical students came and dragged me to the corridor. Just to let me know (at 11am) that I would be having my first exam of the year at 2pm. Ahh, advance warning always so great! The organisation here in Cheltenham has been rather questionable! But there you go. So after rattling around for a bit at lunchtime, moaning via text to Sarah (thanks for listening!) and trying to get it straight in my head how I felt about it all. The exam was an observed long case - a new introduction to have them so early in the year this year, but basically the exam format which is responsible for me still being here at medical school rather than being out there in the big bad world, actually being a doctor. How could I feel anything but negativity toward this exam? Fortunately, it never really dawned in properly or felt real, so that avoided a lot of the nasty nerves. I was surprisingly relaxed during the exam, much more so than during the exams last year. I don't know what to make of it, but I got some very positive feedback, and I got a chance to really talk it through with the doctor who was examining me, and she said "there were no major pass/fail points" which I don't know if that meant I passed overall, or there was no one big thing that I would fail on that I really messed up.... so who knows. I don't know when I'm likely to find out what I scored/if I passed. So I'm just in limbo, but feeling relatively happy about it.
Then Tuesday evening I drove to Cirencester to meet up with Lorri and have dinner. Which was lovely, and just what I needed after the unexpected exam. I love catching up with Lorri, and she spoils me rotten when we have dinner, taking pity on the poor student. We have a deal that with my first pay cheque, I'm going to repay the favour, but at this rate, I'm going to have to take her to Paris for a meal or maybe the Ritz or something crazy like that, either way, something big! Lol! I'm so lucky to have such amazing friends. It was an okay meal, Lorri's steak was over cooked, and the humous wasn't humous, but I did have a very very tasty ginger and honey icecream for desert. Mmmm *licks lips*! And it was lovely just to be with a friend, and have a really good catch up. Lorri is working and staying in Swindon at the moment, hence meeting in Cirencester, which is more of less half way between Cheltenham and Swindon, taking us each almost exactly half an hour to get there. We're planning to do it again next week, choosing a different restaurant this time though.
Yesterday I had about as lazy a day as possible. I was exhausted and didn't really have anything on in the hospital, so I stayed in bed (in the morning) and in my pjs most of the day. Watched stuff on my laptop, dozed, and eventually got round to knitting a little bit, making a start on the second wrist warmer. Eventually at about 5, I decided enough was enough and put some clothes on and forced myself to go to get milk! Ohhh, it's a tough life I lead. Then in the evening I went with one of my course mates to go see Sherlock Holmes, making the most of Orange Wednesdays and having a cinema about a minute's walk away. It was pretty good. Predictably a bit about the violence and explosions. But I did quite enjoy it, and I've been meaning to see it for ages now. So can cross it off the list!
And here we are, back to Thursday. I overslept this morning so was late to my teaching first thing. Ooops. Then am about to head in for "on call", whatever that will entail and maybe have some consultant teaching.
So I had better get going. I have a few more things to say about my weekend, but I will have to leave that for now, but I am well excited about my plans!
Ah the mega-long guilt-induced catch up post LOL! I like the complications in your life, and the simplicity of it, so different to my own complications and my own simplicity. It's nice to share the universal, and the unique. You are a very special person, Ashleigh. :)
ReplyDeleteOh and I mean it, really ENJOY the wool workshop and come back with lots of new wisdom and randomness to impart. The weekend is so close!
PS - Prayers for Martin's interview tomorrow, 2pm, that either he'll get it or something better comes our way!
I will definitely be thinking of Martin and sending my best wishes and thoughts and keep you all in my prayers. Let me know how it goes. xxx
ReplyDelete