Sunday, 25 April 2010

It's all about the spinning therapy

I have finished my silk hankie yarn.  I had a few issues with it, mainly a huge knot that I must have spent more than an hour trying to undo, before I took the heart breaking action of cutting it.  I'm so happy with how this turned out.  It's so far from perfect, and my spinning skills still have a lot of developing to do.  But it's so beautiful.  35 yards of yarn bliss.  I have no idea what to do with it, as it's such a small amount of yarn.
I really enjoyed spinning with the silk hankie, and it's quite an easy and forgiving fibre to work with.  Can't wait to spin up the ones that I dyed over Easter. 

And to overcome the running out of wool from the Spinning Weal, I found somewhere online that does very cheap wool  and I treated myself to 200g BFL top, 100g merino top, both undyed and 100g of blended dyed merino in a blues colourway.
I've spun with the BFL a little and it was quite hard to work with compared to the Portland that Sarah at Spinning Weal recommended for a starter spinner.  I can see why she said it was too soft for beginners.  I was beginning to get the knack for it, and start to finally get some more even single out of it when my spindle broke!  So it's spent most of the day being glued back together with superglue.  I'm looking forward to using the BFL some more.  It's so soft and fluffy.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I have also decided that I shouldn't pre-draft anymore, it's cheating really, and I should try master drafting.  It's the final end goal of spinning techniques, so the sooner I start, the better. 

The knitting is still going slowly.  I'm loving the shawl and how it's looking.  I have recieved my second skein of the wool, after an appeal on Ravelry, although I'm still miles off needing to use it.  Unfortunately revising really does have to come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment