Thursday, 15 April 2010

£5.60 well spent

One student South-West day ticket = £5.60.
Number of buses taken today: 9
Time spent on buses today: 4.5
Value for money?  Better well believe it!

Yes, today was just one of those days.  Throw in a cold (yes, it wasn't just hayfever afterall) and I'm absolutely shattered and can't wait to sleep!  If my nose and throat will allow it.  And why am I not going to bed now, just writting about wanting to go to bed?  Group revision session scheduled for half an hours time.  I'm not really sure I get the most learning benefit out of group revising, but it gives me a chance to spend time with others, and to get an idea of what people are revising, so I can think to myself - "I hadn't remembered to revise that yet, I'll add it to the list". 

So, how on earth did I manage nine bus journeys today?
Journey 1 (07:30):  My flat (Bristol) to town.  This was actually free, as the chap didn't have any of the cards to print a day ticket out on.
Journey 2 (08:15): Town to GP surgery to do my presentation.  I got loads of really positive feedback from everyone at the meeting, so I felt really good about it all, and that I'd actually done something right, and something useful.
Journey 3 (10:00):  GP surgery to town
Journey 4(10:50): Bristol town to Weston Town.  By this point starting to feel rather tired.
Journey 5 (11:45) Weston town to hopital. 

Sat having lunch, feeling a bit worse for wear due to the cold finally taking effect.  Flicking through magazine (Yarn forward) thinking about what else I could possibly learn to do with wool - spinning my own yarn.  Hang on a sec, isn't there a shop that specialises in all thing spinning nearish to Weston and Bristol.  Consulted timetables and websites and decide to make a dash for it, since I clearly wasn't going to be much good going into the hospital, and I had the day ticket already, so would just be making the most of it.

Journey 6 (14.10): Hospital to town.  Spent ages trying to track down the bus stop.  Website didn't mention that half of Weston is being dug up.  Missed the bus.  Only runs once an hour.  Not well impressed.  Wondered round a bit, stocked up on cold relief meds, etc.
Journey 7 (15:35):  Weston town to Clevedon town.

Visited Spinning Weal.  Fell in love!  Amazing shop, and amazing owner.  She let me play around with all the spindles and explained some of the basics.  She makes her own, very basic beginner spindles, only £2.  Gave me nearly a double bag (therefore just short of 200g) of wool for the price of 100g.  She has her own sheep, and this is wool from her sheep.  How cool is that?  So barely spent any money, and it will provide hours of entertainment when exams are over and done with... and maybe just a little before then!
My first few attempts have been interesting.  It doesn't completely look like yarn.  It's ermm, "highly textured" and most definitely a slub yarn!  But I'm getting the hang of it a little, and Sarah (shop owner) said I was picking it up very quickly.  :)  Ahhh, what fun... I do like to play.

Journey 8 (17:50): Clevedon to Weston
Journey 9 (19:10):  Town to hospital.  Completely shattered.  But all in all a very positive day.  And don't worry, I did lots of reading and revising on the bus and at the various bus stops of the South-West!

And must go think of something to give a mini-tutorial to the others on.  And then bed.  Sorry about the lack of words/proper sentences.  Just had exciting things to say but not the energy or head to say them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment