Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Living a full and varied life

This was the aim of my blog.  To remind myself to live a full and varied life.  But have I really been doing this?  I'm not always so sure. 

I think on the whole, this blog has been the cathartic tool that I was after.  A place to get my thoughts and feelings down and to explore them.  And there's no two ways about it, the last few months have been tough.  But I'm not the only one who suffers hardships, so I try to remind myself to handle whatever life throws at me with grace and acceptance, knowing that there are lessons to learn and grow from.  Failing, the car crash and all the fall out from those two things.  I've worked really hard on staying positive.  But I get side tracked in regards to this so easily.  I become wholey consumed by things.  In particular I've thrown all my energies into knitting.  And it's been this amazing rewarding path.  I've learnt so much and developed new skills.  And I don't regret it.  Although with exams getting ever closer, I'm finding it hard to pull my attentions away from the needles and towards the books.  This is partly my knitting obsession, and partly avoidance of revising, and revisiting all the things that I was doing this time last year.

So all in all, between revising and being knitting obsessed, I'm not sure if I've really been living to the full and varied life that I aspire to.  Yes, I know I've not been manically knitting the same thing over and over again.  I've been exploring the fibre arts in all sorts of ways, knitting, crocheting, dyeing, spinning.  And it's been rewarding to share the fruits of my labours.  But I know that not many people understand this obsession of mine.  I seldom attract negative comments, and if I do, they're usually jokingly issued.  But very few people get it.  They more just think I'm weird.  Not that I mind that, but still!  These people wouldn't think that there's much variety to it!

I'm not writing this post as a moan.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't really regret my lot in life.  I just sometimes think/want more.  And when there's such important things to be getting on with in my life (i.e. passing my exams), it really should be the furthest thing on my mind.  Expanding oneself is definitely something to do when there's more time!  But I can't help but sigh and desire to have time (and resources) to do it all.  To really happily believe that I live life to the fullest and it's full of variety.

2 comments:

  1. (more hugs) Ashleigh, you are a wonderful person, and a balanced person (yes, even with the obsessive nature!) - and your whole life doesn't have to be lived this very moment. Retreating to the simplicity of work/yarn/work in order to get the least stress for the most revision, that makes perfect sense to me!

    But when you need a, um, prod... I'm here, wearing my clumpy boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I'll definitely be needing those clumpy boots! Lol! I'm finding it so much harder to focus this year compared to last! :) Thanks.xxx

    ReplyDelete