Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Hayfever season is here!

I'm sitting here really really hoping that my dry scratchy throat that has been festering all day is blasted hayfever and not the start of a cold.  This time of year, I never can tell, I have to let time and the development or not of other cold symptoms answer my ponderings.  I think it is hayfever, despite me talking my tablets for most days of the last week or so.  And my eyes are giving me hassles too.  All in favor of hayfever, just normally can control it with tablets.  Am using a different brand, but it's the same dose of the same active ingredient that I've used every summer for the last four or five years.  But ooooh well...

As promised, I remembered my camera today when I went on a walk.  This walk is probably to blame for the hayfever, but it was such a glorious day and I really couldn't resist.  And I wasn't concentrating very well, so getting some exercise (even if just a gentle walk around the village and up the hill) is always beneficial.

The Plantation is decidedly yellow.  Partly with the end of the daffodils, but mainly with flowers, which although impressive, I can't name.  There are some dandilions, cowslips (mostly still only buds) and maybe some buttercups, but mostly stuff which my meagre knowledge of Bristish plants just can't identify.  But who cares, it's still very pretty!
Dandilions and a clump of unknown little yellow flowers (not greatest picture)
Bluebell stalks hinting at things to come
Clowslips also giving hints

Up on The Hill, where there are minimal flowers for most of it, a couple of butterflies decided to flirt around me, tempting me, but making it very hard to take photos.  This was as about as good as it got:
And I found the bit of The Hill that actually is blanketed in flowers.  It's a bit more of a sheltered area, so I think things have more of a chance of making it.  The Hill is on the whole very exposed and very windy!
I initially thought that these were buttercups, but I think the petals are too pointy.  So I don't know what they are, but it's again very pretty and that's what counts!

And here I sit, back in my room, chewing gum in the hope that it soothes my dry throat (mininal benefit!) and taking a break from the books.  Am finding it so strange to be revising again, and going over the stuff I did last year, but I'm so very glad I made such good notes last year, I'm really finding them very good and useful, and there's only the odd word here and there that I can read - maybe I have a doctor's handwriting after all!

2 comments:

  1. They are Early Buttercup. :) So you were right, they just aren't Common Buttercup (or Crowfoot).

    They are also a lot of very pretty pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, mystery solved! Thanks, I knew you'd be able to help!

    And thanks for the compliments. It was very easy to do, the conditions were just right and the composition perfect too, as it is now, the sky is pink and orange as the sun sets and the church on The Hill is silouhetted beautifully. I wish I had a better camera to do it justice!

    ReplyDelete