Wednesday, 14 April 2010

On being patronised

Since I failed last summer, I've had nothing but the most wonderful support from pretty much everyone.  And it's really helped me process and move on.  But something happened yesterday to change that.  And I'd like to start out saying (it doesn't bode well with a statement like that, does it?!) that I have nothing against this person.  She's quite lovely, and friendly. 

Anyhows, some background.  I've always been completely honest and open about what happened, and patiently explained it to everyone.  People mostly guess something's not quite right.  They don't recognise me from their year, and it's just easier and simpler to get it out there, explain it and get it all over and done with.  And the response is usually positive.  There's a bit of curiosity, which I had been expecting, and the odd question and seeking of advice, and then that's it.  We just get on with everything else. 

Until I came across this particular girl.  She's a bit older than me and I suppose the fact that we're getting so close to exams doesn't help, but she seems quite obsessed with the whole failing thing.  She brings it up quite a lot.  I try to just let it be, but it's starting to get to me.  She's been asking me lots of questions about things I did, and lots of questions about the exams.  Well, to be honest, they were nearly 10 months ago, and I don't really tend to think much about them a week later, let alone at this point in the day.  I can't give her a blow by blow, question by question account of things.  But she seems to be demanding (maybe demanding is the wrong word, ?seeking?) more and more from me.  And everyone knows it was my long case that I failed on.  The "revision" for this is going to clerk patients on the ward for practise and keeping a portfolio of the patients we've seen.  She was quizzing me about this earlier on in the day, about how many I'd clerked last year (about 30) and how many I've done so far this year (about 15).  Then in the evening, we were doing a group revision session, and she turned round and said to me, "but yes, what were you saying to me earlier?  You only clerked 15 patients last year, what did you expect, you must have known that wasn't enough to pass with".  I felt like I'd been slapped.  Yes, I do take some degree of responsiblity for having not passed last year.  But I don't need (incorrect) faults been flung at me in such a flippant, insensitive manner.  I quickly corrected her, but clearly in her opinion I'm some lazy mare that got what I deserved.  She's so obsessed with my failing.  I don't need to continually discuss it.  I know I failed.  I've been reminded of that fact EVERY day over the last 9 - 10 months, why the hell else am I here and doing this?  I don't need it rubbing in, I'm perfectly capable of making myself feel bad about it all.  And she's also gone on a little rant about how I totally spent too much time concentrating on revising for one of the exams and spreading my focus around appropriately.

Maybe it hurts and annoys me so much because there is SOME truth to what she's saying.  But I've analysed the whole flipping thing so many times over the last few months, I don't need to continually disect what happened with someone who I barely know.  It's done, closed chapter.  I'm not a case study in what not to do.

After having had a fairly positive day, it really put a dampner on things.  And I know I really shouldn't be so upset by other peoples opinions or attitudes towards me.  But it does just taint my confidence to have myself attacked and scrutenised so thoroughly.  I get that she's worried because she's about to go through exams, and this is a stressor for anyone.  But what do I do?  She lives in my house in Weston, and she's one of eight people doing my rotation here.  I really want to tell her to drop the subject, but I don't know if I'll really be able to do that tactfully at this point in time.  But I really don't appreciate her attitude towards this particular event in my life.  In most other aspects, she's okay.  She just needs to drop this particular bone.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, and ouch. It is so not her business any more frankly; questions yes, concern for you yup. Concern that it could happen to her, and willingness to learn from your own analysis of last year's mistakes maybe. Everything beyond that is pretty far beyond the bounds of friendship and straying into being inconsiderate at the least and downright cruel if she has even so much as noticed the words coming out of her mouth. Empathy not being some folks' strong suit is one thing... What you appear to be describing is someone who has forgotten that other people are people!

    (hugs)

    There is also a teeny part of me that thinks it would be justice if she had to repeat her final year... Good job I'm not in charge of the universe, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Meep, miss you, it would have been nice to have that hug for reals! Lol! I really couldn't believe the words coming from her. It was horribly insensitive and really threw me.

    She's just as obsessed today, but there weren't any too off base comments. I have a feeling that it's just the way she is. She is very mouthy, and maybe that's just her.

    Thanks for your support.xxx
    P.S. maybe it is good you don't rule the universe, but hey, it's not a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete