I've decided that I need to organise my life. I've been very disorganised recently. And whilst I don't think that any serious harm has been done, it's not exactly been beneficial either. I've had a long think about it, and I need to be more structured in several areas, and here they are with my reasons.
1) Time management: I've been really bad as of late with keeping regular hours. This is leaving me tired and unmotivated during the day. Time management is going to be a much bigger part of life once I start work, but I think that I may as well start being a bit better with it now. I also believe that it will be the first step in being more organised all round.
2) Food: My diet has been appalling as of late. I really need to eat healthier. Ideally, I'd like to start loosing weight again, as I've now more or less put back on everything I lost a couple of years ago. I feel a bit like I've let myself down with regards to this. I don't think I'm going to be uber-strict - I know that over the next couple of months, I'll be getting more stressed and this is always a snag as I'm a dreadful comfort eater. I want to eat healthier, and be more active with my meals. I want to start proper cooking again, not just throwing together random stuff and hoping for the best, quickest, laziest meal. Eating better, and planning my meals better will help me feel better, more energetic and save money, as I won't be nipping to the shops so much and buying random, whatever-takes-my-fancy junk. I also think I should be more conscious about my food choices. Things like organic food or local produced food can help me do my bit for the world!
3) Work and money: I need not to avoid work. I'm fairly good about this, doing a shift a week. I need to keep this up to reduce money stresses later on. If anything, maybe I could do with doing a couple more shifts here and there to really keep on top of it. And I also need to be more thoughtful about my spending. I need to cut back on luxury things, (especially designer wools!).
4) Uni/Revision: I need to clerk more often, and really start focusing on this. I also should probably be doing more work at home, reading up about things, etc. I don't think I need to start revising anytime soon, but I could be doing more. I need to remember why I'm here and keep that end goal insight.
5) Housework: I really have been letting myself go, as it were, around the flat as of late. I need to keep it tidier and more organised and cleaner. I have no excuse not too. And I know that if I have a tidier home, it'll help me focus and be organised on the other things on this list.
6) Exercise: I'm not talking about any crazy, hit the gym kind of exercise. But I need to lead a less sedentry life. I'm nearly a doctor, I really shouldn't be such a hypocrite when telling patients that exercise is good. I know it's good, and I know that even doing small things, such as increasing my walking, are not only cheap/free but will ultimately help me feel better.
7) Spirituality: I know this will be a slightly contentious issue for some of my friends. But my relationship with God is something that is deeply personal and very special to me. And it's also something that I've been neglecting a lot in the last year. I've recently started to really enjoy coming back to God recently, having my quiet time and an opportunity to reflect and meditate. I've realised that this is a very important aspect of my life and definitely goes a long way to helping me feel more balanced in myself. I really need to culture and strengthen this and I know this will make it invaluable during the difficult times that I know lie ahead.
And that's it. Seven points that I need to work on. And there's alot of "I need"s on that list, but that's just the way it is. I do need to do these things to improve myself. Over the next couple of days I'm going to come up with and fine tune an action plan to achieve this. I'm always being told it's all about list aims and objectives and then make an action plan. And that is what I'm going to do. My ultimate aim is to be more settled, balanced, contented, organised, productive (in more ways than just knitting!!) and successful. I don't believe in New Year's Resoultions, so this list is not that. It's not something I'm saying on a drunken whim, but instead more of a well thought through set of ways that I can be a better me with. So be prepared to hear alot about this in future posts and regular progress reports!
And on to other news. I had a really great teaching session today. At times it felt a bit like House (but a more jovial, less grumpy version!). We were discussing cases with a consultant, and then bouncing ideas off each other, and discussing why we thought things were more or less likely, what was in keeping, and what wasn't. It was so much fun, and so intellectually stimulating - things like: "well, the fever followed a few days later by aches would be in keeping with malaria relapsing, but the rash, and the prolonged time elapsed since original infection make it far less likely" and "well, bilateral arm weakness in an 87 year old would make me think of some sort of para-neoplastic syndrome version of Myasthenia Gravis... which is called... erm (prompted by the consultant) Lambert... erm... Eaton Lambert Syndrome" which made me sound soooo clever, even I was impressed with me! Somethings I was just getting wrong (but I didn't really feel embarassed about my stupidly wrong blurting outs!), and there was loads of going off on tangents. But it was so much fun! I couldn't believe how quickly time just flew by! I wish that more of our teachers and lecturers could be like this. It really helps me feel really positive about learning and education. :) Sometimes it's just great being the eternal student!
No comments:
Post a Comment