Saturday, 16 January 2010

Thank you God for my darling Ru-kins!

I have found time, all be it a tiny window before exhaustion takes over completely, to post a quick blog, even though it is now 2.11am (Not technically breaking my time management rules, as it's not a "school" night!).  I won't go into my next rule area tonight, I will save that till I have more time to blog about it.  So this is all about today.  Any takers for what I grateful about tonight?!

It was the last day of my placement today, which is strange in a way, and we were all rather reflective about it today as we met up for our last teaching session.  It was good to hear that other people don't think they've been as productive as they could have been - so it wasn't just me then?  We were talking about how we have to get "the fear" going to really get us motivated, and it's so true.  It's so easy to put off things we know we have to do eventually, until suddenly the immensity of the situation overwhelms and forces action.  Unfortunately for me, this fear often comes very late in the day for me! 

Then this afternoon, I decided to treat myself to a trip to the cinema.  I found out this morning that I got some tax refunded yesterday (work always do this, tax me, then end up giving it back soon afterwards when they realise that I won't be earning that much in the year after all!), not much, but still enough to afford to treat myself.  After much umming and ahhhing, I decided to go and see "Up in the air".  It was pretty good.  It's getting a lot of hype and everyone's tipping it for award's season in the US, but I don't know if it's that good.  It was slightly predictable in places, but fortunately not in all, and it was a nice fresh story (there's nothing worse than sitting though, especially if you have paid to do so, something that feels somehow so familiar).  I came so close to staying to see another movie, but then decided to be strong and not.  And then was very tempted to go and treat myself to some sushi at Yo Sushi (my true food achillies heel!), but again resisted, remembering my money rules from yesterday.  So all in all I felt very good about sticking to my rules, even if it was only after a day!  But hey, it's a start.

Then I meandered my way home, and vegged for a little while, deciding that I would tidy up in preparation for my visitor after dinner.  I made a start on my second sock, but haven't got very far.  Then I was just getting ready to heat up my dinner (I've decided to use up all the random leftover meals in my freezer, so as not to waste them, before I really buckle down with the food rules) when I decided to see if Ru had sent any word yet on her estimated time of arrival, when I noticed that being the ditzy fool I am, my phone was still on silent, and I had a couple of missed calls and a voicemail.  It was from Harry and Claire, saying that they had booked a restaurant for everyone, so we could have a little bit of a catch up, having not really seen each other since before Christmas.  Talk about in the nick of time, never got round to switching on the oven after all.  Unfortunately, they had made the reservation for less than an hours time, and it was across town for me.  So the tidying never really got done, just the bare essentials.   It was a nice little meal out, although it was at an Indian, which is not my fave sort of place to dine-out at, but I'm somewhat outnumbered in this view, and the company kinda makes up for it. And I literally just made it back home as Ru was arriving. 

And it's been wonderful.  I've really missed my Rukins.  We have so much in common, she is from Zimbabwe too, and is a medic (who passed her finals!) and is a Christian.  These are all very strong bonds for us.  And we certainly made the most of it.  Hence the writing of this blog so late.  I had with her the first really long proper chat about God and Christianity that I've had in a very long time.  It was truely wonderful and very rewarding to be able to talk to someone honestly and openly about my beliefs without worrying about offending her, or opposing her beliefs.  We also did my Bible study podcast together (WordLive podcast from Scripture Union) which was also something joyous to share.  It was wonderful to experience and grow together in our faith.  So many thanks to God for bring Ru safely back to me and for the opportunity to share with her.

So much for this being a quick/short blog.  It's now 2.48am.  Ooops, definitely time for sleep, otherwise I'll be a grumpy moo come morning!  And I have a shift tomorrow afternoon... and yet I keep on typing... can't stop... what's wrong with me?  Must sto

No comments:

Post a Comment