After a super late night last night, we had a surprisingly early morning with a phone call before 9am! Needless to say, we both went back to sleep after this! Then we had a perfectly leisurely Saturday morning, going to the local cafe, meeting up with some people, having brunch, reading the Saturday papers, having random political discussions. Just really chilled.
Then I found a new project to knit... well, a new project to add to the growing list. Harry wants me to make him a hat, which I've promised will be my next project once I've finished with the socks. And then, Ru would like me to make her some wristwarmers. It was originally going to be gloves, an idea which I wasn't very confident about, since I've tried to make gloves before and they weren't 100% successful. Most likely because they had seams and were for kids, so the seams were proportionally very bulky. So at a push I was willing to attempt an adult pair, in perhaps thinner wool. But when we were browsing through some patterns, Ru was quite taken by some wristwarmers, which I'm more confident about. It's a really amazing looking pattern, so I'm really looking forward to knitting them. And of course this lead to a deliemma. And a trip to temptation central. We went wool shopping, and it was so wonderful. I had to resist some serious temptations (which I did successfully) made even harder by the fact a lot of the ones I liked were in the sale. Darn! Anyhows, the real dilemma was that I brought the wool. Just days after saying I wasn't going to buy anymore for a while. Oooops! But it was for a good cause...
Then it was off to work for me. It was a strange shift. It was quite laidback and not very busy. But there were some seriously annoying patients. Two in particular. Both quite young, and both I wanted to slap for being annoying. But noooo, you have to be nice to the sick guys. One was pretty much projectile vomitting just a few minutes before dinner, then decided it was a good idea to down a glass of apple juice, despite us nursing staff saying we didn't think it was a good idea. And sure enough, up came the apple juice and then some. And it wasn't just that he was being like this, it was the fact that he insisted on standing over the toilet, rather than bending down (yeah, I know, too much info, but you can see my frustration), resulting in an utter mess all over the toilet and floor. Which of course muggins here had to clean. And there's so much infectious gastroenteritis (diarrhoea and vomitting) going round, that now I'm really paranoid that he might have it just starting and thus he'll have spread it to the rest of the ward, and worse still, to me. So I wasn't particularly amused. And there was another HCA working (i.e. the same position as me) who decided it was a good idea to patronise me. This is one of my biggest beefs in life. I'm not stupid, and I'm not inexperienced. Don't talk down to me. It is not the way to create a happy Ashleigh and thus a good working relationship. And then she spent a lot of the shift (badly) whistling out of tune. Very annoying and I couldn't really say anything to her. It made for a very long, boring, frustrating shift. But at least there wasn't too much physical labour involved. Anyways, rant over. They did let me go 10mins early, so can't complain too much!
And then I learnt of Sarah's stressful day, which made me really wish I could be there for her, and give her a great big hug, and offer my support. So my dear, I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love your way. As I've said so much of late, you and your wonderful family are so special to me, and I would hate to think of something bad happening. My love to you all, my prayers are with you and an extra special hug for the one person in this world who calls me "Ackseigh" and greats me so warmly when I come round.
Great big hugs cheerfully accepted across the miles. :) We're going to do OK, I think, but thankyou so much for your offer of help at the weekend. I tell you what, I'll call if we're going to be REALLY desperate by then, but you should assume we're managing!
ReplyDeleteGood good! :) I'm sure you'll be fine, once you've adapted your routine to include a cast and crutches! xxx
ReplyDelete