Monday, 18 January 2010

Resisting temptation

After all the excitement of first thing this morning, I'm cream crackered, so just a quick post.  Yes, I know I always say that and then...

First day of placement today.  Bit of a let down, the lecturer couldn't make it, so we only had some housekeeping issues to sort out.  And then I had the rest of the day free.  I could have done so much like nap, do some reading, rank my jobs, go food shopping, etc. But I didn't get round to any of this.  I mainly vegged in front of my computer, half-heartedly watching iPlayer and knitting and feeling bored and frustrated.  But I don't have anywhere comfy to knit, so I didn't get oooooodles done, but I suppose some is better than none.  And right now, I know I'm feeling extra moany, but that's probably because I'm tired, so I really shouldn't say too much, as I don't know if I'll fully mean it.  But here's a list of my Cheltenham issues:
1) they're expecting me to spend half my time (or seemingly half, tiredness may be slightly, but not greatly, exaggerating this) outside of Cheltenham, just because I have a car.  They're sending me to Hereford (officially can claim 40miles each direction) which apparently would take only slightly less time than it would to get to Derby.  So I'm not impressed, especially as I will have to pay up front for petrol and then claim back, which will undoubtedly take weeks (that last part might fall under the "may not actually mean if I wasn't so tired" category)
2) lack of stuff here - no linen, next to no cookware/crockery.  The accomodation is not really exciting me at this point in time.  So frustrated about it.
3) no tv - there's not much to do in general, unless you want to spend money (e.g. cinema on next street, oh temptation thy name is Cineworld) or it involves sitting in front of a computer screen.  We're almost slap bang in the middle of town, so there's not even anywhere decent to go for a stroll.
4) the heating is crazy - I've had to turn down the night storage heater in the kitchen/lounge and open all the windows as it was like a sauna.  It was too uncomfortably hot to sit in there, which is a shame as that's where the sofas are.
5) there's no toilet paper - we have to provide our own... apparently.  I'm not 100% sure.  But I'm guessing as I can't find anywhere and now we are out.  Mmmm, emergancy run to 24 hour tesco or beg/borrow/steal from another flat. 

Good things (perhaps?) about Cheltenham
1)  I saw three craft shops today on my walk to and from hospital.  Oh temptation thy name is yarn!  I'm pleased to report I only went in and felt (get it!! and before you say anything, I did warn you I was tired) the wool in two of them.
2).... I'll have to get back to you on that...

Sarah and I did however end up chatting for nearly 2 hours this evening, exchanging woes and frustration and having some interesting ponders about the world in which we live, which was a lovely way to kill my boredom, and was ultimately the highlight of my day.  Thanks Sarah, although be forewarned, you did such a good job, maybe back to bug you again soon!

Anyhow's, off to bed now.  Night y'all and here's to a fire alarm free sleep.

4 comments:

  1. Aw thanks hun! Hope you had a good night, and the accommodation doesn't get you down too much. Can't believe you only have one pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are naughty naughty naughty! (Thankyou!) What an amazing book. :) And lovely soft feely wool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lalalalala! What you say something? Wasn't me! I'm so totally addicted, it's my world, and now I'm trying to get my friends, errr, hooked! (Oh what pun shame!) My defense - I'm not seeing you anytime soon (thus not spending petrol money, so this was cheaper option!) and I wanted to give my support somehow. And flowers are always so... temporary!

    The book seemed really comprehensive and there was loads of useful stuff in there, from beginner stuff right the way through to advanced, so will hopefully hold you in good stead for many a year! May end up having to get myself a copy! I really hope you enjoy them and they are useful. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and clearly the title should be along the lines of "attempting to resist temptation... and failing" but I wanted it to be a surprise for you! Lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete