Sunday, 6 December 2009

Saturday musings

Hi!  (Hi Sam, now that I know you're reading this!)   So, today was a more typical sort of Saturday.  It started very lazy, as I was up reading till nearly 3.30am (when did it get so late?).  Didn't get out of bed till nearly 12 this morning.  Oh well.... win some, loose some.  I never get round to early nights.  This morning, once eventually up, I started to make some progress on my snowflakes - so weird to be crocheting.  The Just Soya wool is interesting to work with, it's quite soft, but the individual threads seem to seperate quite a lot, which is frustrating as I have to pay that slight bit more attention.  Don't think it's the best wool to be using, but the overall effect is okay.  I think I like the colour best, it's such a brilliant, pure white, that lives up to it's name "coconut"!

Four snowflakes so far, not sure how many the wool will allow.  Next to them, you can see my most ambitious project - my zig-zag strippy crochet blanket that I made about three years ago.  I really shouldn't be allowed to get bored!  It's about double bed sized - I just carried on going until spring got too hot to allow me to work under it.  You can also see to the left, my huge box of wool, currently over flowing!

Then it was off to work, thrill of thrills.  It wasn't too bad, again it was one of my less favourite wards, but it was at least a better shift than last weekend.  It was short staffed, but it was a smaller ward - only 20 patients so that helps.  Still felt like I perhaps didn't really have time to do everything.  Then one of the nurses had the cheek to get annoyed with me, when she tried to ask me to do something (menial as always, they always palm off the menial stuff on to Bank HCAs) when I tried to point out to her that I was already in the middle of doing something for one of the other nurses, when the third nurse had told me about two things she wanted me to do.  I mean, come on!  I've only got one pair of hands, and I feel like I'm letting down the patients enough as it is, without adding even more workload!

Then I had a very pleasant surprise when I got home - my SamSam phoned me.  Had a lovely catch up and chat.  Twas nice to have the company!  I'm really going to hold you to that Choc Orange pudding fest, yu-ummm-my!

Progress is being made on Chistmas decorations.  Since I'm still lacking a tree, I've been hanging most of my completed decorations up on my mobile - which is a present from my parents when they had visited family back in Zimbabwe a few years ago.  And a mini-Stieff bear that my mom gave me as a good luck pressie for my exams a few years back.  I think I'm going to get the tree tomorrow.  I'm too excited to put it off any longer!  Still have loads of decorations that I want to make, but at least they'll have somewhere to hang when they're ready!

I'm quite proud of this one - I sat and glued on loads of green seed beads on their side.  Great texture effect.



My growing collection, which now includes a couple of the polystyrene balls.




The mess that is my dining table, a.k.a. my craft table.  This pretty much sums up my life - the bright yellow paper is part of my uni timetable, there's lots of random experimentation remnants (e.g. the paper painted red), a nice smelly candle (winter berry, I think!) and part of my alcohol stash.





And finally, I've uploaded photos of the hat that I made for Mary.  She wanted a slouchy hat, and choose the pattern.  I got my lovely teddy to model again, because lying the hat down on a flat surface didn't allow for the full effect.  Only problem is that Teddy has a smaller head than Mary, so he looks a little drowned by it!


 

2 comments:

  1. Ohh I love the snowflakes so much!! Went in a wool shop today and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, but you might not like what I have to say next - I wasn't really that happy with them, have made about 7, but I don't think the wool is right at all, and they don't look as good as some others that I've seen online. So I've put them aside, and gone back to knitting Christmas pressies.

    Ahh, wool shops... I really need to ban myself from them! xxx

    ReplyDelete