Doing night shifts are great in many ways. Better money is probably the biggest bonus. I know this makes me sound like it's all about the money, but lets face it, at the end of the day, I wouldn't be working my parttime job if I didn't need the money! The shifts are longer (10hours vs 5hr45mins) and then there's the antisocial hours pay. So all in all, it works out better. I'm not a morning person, in fact, quite the opposite, I'm an absolute night owl, and I'm often up till 2, so going through the night isn't so much of a stretch! Also on the whole, night shifts tend to run a bit smoother. After the rubbish shifts I've had recently, last night was a dream! In a shocking turn of events we were overstaffed! There we three HCAs and four trained nurses and just 24 patients. And considering I was on a surgical ward (where patients are less ill and more independent) and it was night (so people are mostly sleeping) it worked out to be a very quiet shift. We were very organised and finished all the evening jobs by 11 (it's often midnight or slightly later!) and so, what else is a girl to do but get the knitting out. In a way, I feel slightly guilty about spending so much of the time knitting. But there was honestly nothing else to do. So, knitting away the hours was great! Got loads done.
And the last good thing about nights is the calm of coming home at 7:30 in the morning. Especially on a crisp winter Sunday morning. So quiet and serene. And this morning, the sun was just about rising, with a beautiful orangy pink glow just appearing on the horizon. Just lovely!
And now I'm home. I'm exhausted and somewhat hungry. But I'm torn, don't think I can be bothered to eat, let alone prepare something to eat. Oh dear. I know that if I don't eat now, I'll be waking up starved, and probably not sleep as well as if my stomach weren't grumbling! Oh dear, you know I'm scraping the barrel when I'm writting such rubbish about such rubbish! So I'll stop. Nighty-night!
No comments:
Post a Comment