Today is "special" for many reasons. The first, is that it's World AIDS Day. And of course, in this day and age it's so incredibly important to be aware of this and the global impact it has. Whilst it may not always affect us as individuals, we have a social responsiblity and obligation to not forget. Maybe it's because I'm a medic, maybe it's because I grew up in a country where it was so prevelant, maybe it's the nugget of social conscious that I have, but for me, AIDS is a huge issue. Going on my elective last year to South Africa, to a rural(ish) hospital where HIV was the cause of a huge proportion of the work load, it was such an eye opener to the problems it causes. And this isn't just the health issues, there's the stigma, the financial and the social aspects to the disease too. The fight for getting anti-retrovirals to those who need them most is one of the biggest issues facing healthcare in the modern world. And with their help, we can really help people fulfill the the catchphrase - Living with HIV. And how people are HIV-positive in the truest sense, i.e. it's not an automatic negative thing. And on top of getting meds to those who need it, we need to get education to those who need it, which is basically everyone! So on this one day of the year, remember. Remember the 80 000 people living with HIV in the UK alone, and the millions more who have lost thier lives due to this evil disease.

And then the second significance to this day is that it is the start of Advent. Well, that is according to Advent calenders. This is something I don't usually do, probably because I never remember to get a calender in on time. Of course, true Advent would have started on Sunday, being four Sundays before Christmas day. There's a certain elegance and grace about lighting those four candles in preparation and contemplation for the day that is so special and significant to Christians everywhere. So happy Advent everyone, regardless of it's meaning to you!
Anyhows, about my day. I didn't have to productive day that I was originally aiming for. Mainly because I seem to have come down with a bit of a cold, so I've had the whole sore, scratchy throat, sneezy, headachy, achy feeling going on. Not dreadfully bad, just felt very lethargic. So went into my teaching (bit of a waste of time, was boring as hell!) and then came straight home, bemoaning the short walk from the bus stop, as my limbs felt like they weighed a tonne! So, aiming for a lovely early night, and hopefully get a good night sleep, following drugging myself up!
Another meaning; it's almost Morgan's birthday LOL how did that happen?! We did both - advent starting on the Sunday AND on the first. Candle on the Sunday (and Jesse Tree starting then) but only chocolate coins starting this week!
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed, I did remember that it's Morgan's birthday soon. Although, I have to admit (don't hate me!!) I can't remember the actual date. I know it's the first week of December sometime! My bad! What exactly is a Jesse Tree? This is something I've not come across before.
ReplyDeleteI suddenly thought today that I have two weeks more of uni, and then it's Christmas. I'll be back in Derby in less than 3 weeks. So excited about having something to look forward to! Can't wait to see y'all!
Whoop! So looking forward to seeing you too. That's so soon. Lol I realised how close it was this morning when I worked out that my next veg box comes in a week, then the next delivery (fortnightly) is Christmas Eve!
ReplyDeleteMorgan's birthday is the 11th. Her official due date was the 1st lol. The big day is the day Where the Wild Things Are comes out at the cinema - toying with taking her but not sure that sitting still counts as a treat for my Morgs. ;)
The Jesse Tree is a kind of Bible Study series, we're working through the whole Bible during advent making a symbolic decoration for each story. It's like Jesus' family tree. So far this week the symbols have been sun and moon (Creation), an apple (Adam and Eve), boat (Noah), and tomorrow is a tent (for Abraham and Sarah). There used to be carvings or stained glass windows of them in every church, but they were all destroyed as "graven images".