Friday, 18 December 2009

End of term!

Brrrr!  It is even more freezing than before!  I can't believe how cold it is, it's barely crept above 1.5 degrees today here in Bristol.  But on a positive note, it was gloriously sunny for most of the day, so it's the kind of cold that I don't really mind, it's worse when it's cold and wet, you just never can get comfortable with that kind of weather.  I'm in a way kind of disappointed that it hasn't snowed here - I love snow, it's pretty and it's different, and it also probably has something to do with the fact that it's still fairly novel for me, having grown up without the opportunity to see snow.  But the fact that it is such a disruption to life means I'm less disappointed - I have such a busy weekend coming up - three night shifts at work and a little running around to do, so the ability to get places without freezing or it being dangerous is a bonus!

Today marked a landmark of the year for me - the end of the first term.  It's a great place to sit back and reflect on what I have achieved thus far.  And what I have left to achieve in the rest of the year.  Have I made the most of the term?  This is a very difficult question to ask myself, mainly because if I'm being honest, deep down, I don't think I have.  Well, relative to last year at least.  I don't think I've been more proactive than I was for the first term of last year.  I may have learnt a couple of things along the way, but in terms of getting things done, well, honestly, no.  I'm comparing it to last year, and viewing this as a negative because last year ultimately wasn't a success, so perhaps I should be striving for more?  What has been hard was loosing the best part of two weeks feeling rundown/tired, and then having that cold.  When the term is only 8 weeks long, having two weeks written off is a significant thing.  Maybe I'm being a little hard on myself, because chatting to some of my coursemates, I don't think I've done much less than them, and I also have the advantage of having done it all already.  But, I shouldn't lull myself into a false sense of security and I really can't afford to be complacent.  I really do need to start pushing myself more.  I need to pass, I need to really get on with things next term.  I've been fairly pre-active about parts of it, and I'll try to be organised and keep the end goal in sight more, something which I really haven't done yet.

I think that I am in a better place personally this year, compared to last.  When I started last year, I was under a lot of stress, and I didn't really achieve much, and felt quite down a lot of the time.  Despite what has happened, I feel I'm more collected and more content.  I've connected more with some of my friends, and I have their support.  I may live alone, but that doesn't bother me.  I think in a way it has been good for me.  I have time to myself, time to think and to relax, without having to worry about how my actions affect my housemates.  If I want to slob out on the sofa, that's fine.  If I make a mess, noone cares but me.  I mean, I've loved living with other people, and that certainly does have its advantages.  People are usually shocked when they find out I live alone, and think I must be lonely.  But I'm not.  Not as much as you'd think.  And for me, at this point in my life, it may be best.  Fewer distractions!  And it also motivates.  I make more of an effort to see and communicate with my friends, and that has been great.  I also have been crafting and doing things far more than I have in years.  It's a great way of keeping me busy, and I really don't sit around thinking about loneliness or wallowing.  It isn't bad at all.

So, with one term down, and one and a bit left, I really have a lot to reflect on, and it's not too bad!  Definitely room for improvement on the uni front in terms of being productive, but on the whole, it's been a good term.  Just look at all the things I've achieved with my knitting!

2 comments:

  1. (hugs) Definitely hard on yourself. But I totally know why, and I think you're holding up fine! If you know you can push yourself harder, PUSH woman, nobody wants this more than you!

    (Though if you knew how much we were all behind you willing you on, you'd at the very least come get some mince pies soon and collect the waiting cuddles and encouragement! And hopefully accept a nice meal out if we get the time, so you can catch us up in person.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Sarah, I may not know exactly how much you are all behind me, but by now, I've got a good idea! Your comment brought a lump to my throat and tears welling in my eyes. I am eternally grateful for what you have done for me over the last six months, and I could never thank you enough. But I am most likely to spend the rest of my life trying!

    You damn right I'm coming round for mince pies asap! I can't wait for all the cuddles I've missed over the last two months and to see how much all the girls have grown and changed.

    I'm working night shifts upto and including Monday night. So Tuesday morning, I'll come home, grab some sleep and hopefully head off back to Derby mid to late afternoon. Unless I'm too tired, in which case it'll be Wednesday morning. I'm really aiming for Tuesday though! Can't wait. But in mean time, accept and distribute all the mental (well, telepathic and slightly mental) hugs that I'm sending your way. :)

    ReplyDelete