Tuesday, 22 December 2009

The kindness of strangers

Sometimes I'm just peeved at all the rubbish that life throws at me, and have to fight very hard to not do the whole "why me?" thing.  Other times, I'm just continuously touched by the kindness and good will of others.  Maybe life really does just balance out... eventually!  Or maybe there is such a thing as karma.  Or maybe it's just really dependent on my mood how I end up seeing things, some days concentrating more on the positive, and other days, more on the negative.  Or maybe, just maybe, it's just human nature to see patterns and trends when they don't really exist.

Last night, I duely caught the bus and left the car safely parked, and avoiding ice skating it down Gloucester Road.  And if I'm making confessions, I think that I've thought of a New Year's resolution - SEEK HELP FOR KNITTING ADDICTION!  Joys of public transport and waiting for it to arrive, meant that I had a few minutes waiting around, so I unashamedly got the needles out, stood at the bus stop and did some rows, even getting on the bus in the middle of a row and without dropping a stitch.  I did some knitting on the bus, but it was bordering on sensory overload and it made me feel a little queasy, so I didn't push it too much! 

I left later than planned, but it ended being spot on, I was there on time, even after changing into my uniform out of my layers and layers.  I was working on one of my favourite wards, and it was a night like last night that reminded me why I like that ward, and dare I say it, sometimes even enjoy work.  I had good company, the patients were all really nice and friendly, and I managed to have time to have some lovely chats with some of them.  And all in all, nice, smooth shift.  Whilst we were waiting for handover last night, we got to talking about the horrendous weather conditions, and I mentioned that I had played it safe and bused it in.  And one of the nurses immediately offered me a lift home for the morning.  She lives in vaguely the same area as me, although I probably doubled her journey time.  I was so amazed.  Hot off the heels of the lovely shopkeeper and his advice and offers of tea, another kind deed was offered me.  I don't think I've ever been offered a lift home, and I was very grateful, as it meant I was home nice and early after the shift, and now, I'm tucked up in bed, eyes beginning to feel heavy, and able to have a nice early bedtime.  I'm hoping this will mean I'm more up for driving back to Derby later after a nice long snooze.  Although I still have to pack properly, I'm hoping, weather permitting to hit the road by mid-afternoon...

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED that you're coming to Derby again lol! :D

    And what a lovely day, how nice to part with some evidence of other human beings looking out for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe! Well, I'm back! Lol! I'm SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED to be back :D Text/call me and we can arrange something. Am taking Mumsie grocery shopping tomorrow morning, and that's about it. Emma has mentioned her birthday meal to me, so I'll take along to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh brilliant! Yes, do come join us! I will make sure there is enough lovely salmon to go around. :) Will text later when I manage to put credit on - Martin is just doing his shopping for me LOL and then we have to go get party ingredients and credit!

    ReplyDelete