Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Back in Derby - yipee!

Hurrah!  I am back, safe and sound in Derby.  It's good to be back, and to know that it's a special time to spend with loved ones, be it family or friends.  I did manage to get a good solid four hours sleep this morning after my last posting.  And then really struggled to get going, bed was so cosy and lets face it, four hours sleep is not a full "nights" sleep.  Fortunately, I had managed to sleep on my break at work, and because it was fairly quiet, we had nice long breaks.  We sneaky sneaky used some of the beds in unused parts of the ward, so it was decent sleep as opposed to lying across some raggedy looking lumpy chairs in a staff room! 

I had planned to pack yesterday, but the day had somehow got away with me following all the snowy drama.  I had been organised enough this morning before sleeping to jot down a packing list, as I always forget something, so was proud of that little bit of organisation as being organised is not one of my strong points!  So in a flurry, I threw everything in a suitcase (packing not being one of my strong points either!) and was about to rush out the door when I remembered I hadn't done the dishes.  Damn!  So another delay meant all in all, I left quite a bit later than originally planned. 

The roads were lovely and clear, except the icy side road I had parked Ernie in.  I was really surprised that I completed the journey in two and a half hours, which was really good progress, as I did stop briefly for an espresso and some crisps, and the traffic being rather crazy at times and going all ridiculously slow!  And of course what would a trip on the motorway be without idiot drivers trying to do you harm?  I really wish they could hear my shouts and mutterings sometimes.  Not letting me in off the slip road when the slip road is rapidly running out is not safe driving practice.  Fortunately, it was a double laned slip road and I was able to pull over into the left lane when my lane ran out completely (luckily there was noone there at that precise moment), but could the idiot who didn't let me in not see what a dreadfully dangerous situation he was putting me in?  But stress over, I'm here in one piece and ready for the festivities.  Just had a lovely quiet evening in with my parents, catching up.  And now, although I feel relatively exhausted, my body clock is still on night shift mood and feels ready to go on staying awake through the night.  So I'm going to go lie in the darkness and hope sleep isn't too illusive!

2 comments:

  1. Phew! Safe and sound and HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!! Well, MY home, your second home now hehe. :) So glad you avoided a disaster on the roads, I was really anxious for you traveling yesterday (my mum is on the roads today, eek).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, yes indeed, back safe and sound, and looking forward to visiting my other "home"! The roads were mainly just very busy, which I can deal with, I was mainly just relieved that they weren't icy. Good luck to your mum driving, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

    Just one thing, which I'll apologise for in advance, I don't eat fish, but don't worry, in lieu of this and to make up for my fussiness, I'm more than happy to pick something up for myself, if you just let me know what the general theme of food is. xxx

    ReplyDelete